Donated hearing aid replaces one lost in fire

Donated hearing aid replaces one lost in fire

A Langley man received a new hearing aid after surviving the Birch building fire.

A Langley man who lost his hearing aids – and almost his life – in an apartment fire received a donated new device Thursday.

Art Paley, 68, lived on the third floor of the Birch building in Langley City.

The fire alarms didn’t wake the hard-of-hearing Paley up, and he found his apartment full of smoke when he finally noticed the fire.

Paley lived across the hall from the unit where the fire started, and where his neighbour lost his life. Paley managed to get into the hallway, where he encountered firefighters. They led him outside. He later collapsed from smoke inhalation and needed emergency medical help, waking up in the hospital.

Among the items Paley lost to the fire, smoke, and water damage to the apartment was his right hearing aid. Paley was distraught because he had barely been able to afford the hearing aids five years ago.

Scott Hyde, owner of the Fraser Valley Beltone in Langley, heard about Paley’s story and donated a brand-new hearing aid to replace the lost one.

“You have no idea how nice that will be,” said Paley.

“Art Paley’s story is amazing,” said Hyde. “We all have amazing stories. It’s so nice to help someone out in need.”

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image