The sale of fireworks is banned in both Langley City and Township.

The sale of fireworks is banned in both Langley City and Township.

Setting off fireworks in Langleys without taking legal steps will cost you

If you don’t follow the rules and get caught doing so, prepare to pay out of pocket

While there isn’t an outright ban on setting off fireworks in the Langleys, there are steps to be be taken before discharging them safely and legally.

The Township notes that “A permit must be obtained from the fire department to sell, give or trade, possess, and/or discharge fireworks.”

And if you don’t follow the rules, it’ll you cost you.

To set off fireworks, an Application for Public Fireworks Event form must be completed no fewer than 10 days prior to the event and attach the following:

• proof of a valid Fireworks Supervisor’s Certificate issued by Natural Resources Canada;

• a site plan with measurements for spectator area and fireworks shooting area (fireworks can’t be discharged within 50 metres, or 150 feet, of anything flammable);

• identified event safety measures;

• obtain a letter of approval from the property owner for property use;

• possess a certificate of Insurance for no less than $5,000,000 general liability naming the Township of Langley as an additional insured with a deductible of $5,000 per event or greater if so deemed by the fire department;

• Agreement of Organizer or Sponsor of Public Fireworks Events form and;

• pay a permit fee of $100.

The applicant must accept full responsibility to supervise as necessary and host this event in compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, and product instructions to a safe and harmless conclusion to all participants, spectators, and adjacent properties.

Failure to comply will result in municipal ticketing.

As Halloween approaches, Township assistant fire chief Pat Walker says he has heard fireworks go off in the Aldergrove area.

“They must be buying them either in Vancouver or across the border, or probably out in the valley,” Walker said, reiterating that fireworks sales are banned in the Township.

Walker said to get a permit to discharge fireworks, a person needs to obtain an Explosive Regulatory Division (ERD) license to do so.

“The fines (for those who don’t comply) start at $200 and any damage or costs incurred to put the fire out, you could also be charged for that,” Walker said.

The fire department, RCMP, and Township bylaw officers are able to issue these fines.

On Monday, the day before Halloween, there haven’t been any incidents in the Township.

“We’ll hopefully get through this season without it,” Walker said.

In Langley City, similar rules apply.

Selling fireworks is banned in Langley City, and minors aren’t allowed to possess or discharge fireworks in the City.

A person may not possess or set off fireworks in the City unless that person has a valid display permit.

The person who sets off the fireworks must apply for the display permit at least 10 business days before the date of the event.

You must have a fireworks supervisor certificate and must have paid a fee of $100, and have written consent of the owner of the property upon which the fireworks are being set off, if the person is not the owner.

As well, whoever is setting off the fireworks must have provided the Langley City fire chief with a copy of a valid General Comprehensive Liability Insurance policy.

If you don’t follow these rules, you’re liable of a penalty of not more than $10,000, according to the City.

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.

Don't have an account? Click here to sign up