Some tasty things are brewing for this year’s Abbotsford Air Show, including an experience you won’t find anywhere else in North America.
Joining the Aug. 10 to 12 event this year is The Grandstand: A Craft Beer Experience, created by the folks at BC Hop Company, hosts of September’s BC Hop Fest.
“When the airshow approached us to bring an extra element to the show, we thought, ‘Let’s give people something they’ve never seen,” says Diane Stewart from BC Hop Co.
The result is a 180-f00t-long, three-storey-tall grandstand with both stadium and premium bucket seating. “We took our inspiration from Formula 1. There’s been nothing like it at the Airshow before,” Stewart explains.
Also on hand will be 14 BC breweries, from all over British Columbia, and the Gold Medal Champion BBQ team from the 2016 BeerBQ event – Rusty’s BBQ.
“We’ve got some really great brewers coming in. Some will come for the whole event, while a few smaller labels will pour their favourites for just one day of the show,” Stewart says. “I hope visitors leave with an expanded palate and a greater knowledge of what’s out there in the world of BC Craft brewing.”
Here’s how to make the most of your Grandstand experience:
- Get your tickets! Tickets are expected to sell out for this premier event, so it’s best to pick them up ahead of time to avoid disappointment, Stewart says. The VIP Pass in particular offers an exceptional experience: Admission to the Abbotsford Airshow and Grandstand, Chalet Row parking, VIP seating in comfy bucket seats and two 12-ounce beers. At three stories up and positioned in the heart of the show, there’s no better seat!
Additional ticket options include a Showline Jump Seat Package and General Admission Package; all include unlimited re-entry into The Grandstand and the option of taking beer or food to visit other Airshow areas.
- Sip and Sample: Enjoy a full 12-ounce draft or sample a variety of flavours with four-ounce tasters. In addition to sponsor brewers Driftwood, Whistler and Old Yale, showcase brewers include Fuggles & Warlock Craftworks, Longwood, Parallel 49, Ravens, Trail Beer Refinery, Mt. Begbie and Monkey Nine Brewing, Loudmouth Brewing. Special guests are Fieldhouse and Trading Post breweries.
- There’s an App for that! Download an app for the Grandstand that highlights all the brewers and what they’re pouring, including flavour profiles of each beer and more information on all the participants and sponsors.
- On the grill: Dig in to some amazing flavours as Rusty, Canada’s “Barbecue Master,” flashes up the grill.
- The Grandstand DJ: While amazing aerial flights highlight the show, a Grandstand DJ will keep the music going between flights.