Bedding on space heater blamed in Willowbrook house fire

Blaze, which broke out Thursday morning, was contained to single bedroom

  • Nov. 17, 2015 8:00 p.m.

Bedding thrown over a space heater was determined to be the cause of a house fire in the Willowbrook area on Thursday morning.

Around 9 a.m., Township fire crews were called to the home in the 20400 block of 68 Avenue for a fire burning in an upstairs bedroom. A plume of white smoke could be seen from a distance.

According to assistant fire chief Pat Walker, the family did everything right once the fire started.

The smoke alarm went off so a family member saw the fire and closed the bedroom door and stuffed a towel along its base to contain the blaze, said Walker.

They then ran outside the home and waited for firefighters to arrive.

The fire was contained within the bedroom and was extinguished within a couple hours. There is smoke damage to much of the home.

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image