Twilight Drive-In reopens with concession sales approved by Fraser Health, owner says

100 cars of people will now watch films, planning to adhere to new provincial health 50-car capacity

After two days of no films up on the big screen at the Twilight Drive-In in Aldergrove, there comes a glimmer of hope Thursday night as showings plan to resume.

Owner Jay Daulat had closed his business – the last remaining drive-in theatre in Metro Vancouver – due to a 50-car limit imposed on Friday by provincial health officers, to limit COVID-19 spread.

But now he’s reopening.

“We’re not just doing this on our own accord,” Daulat assured.

He said Fraser Health gave the business owner the verbal go-ahead to operate its concession, which will provide him with a viable option to turn a profit while sticking to a 50-car limit.

Daulat believes the decision was made after he told a Fraser Health official about his take-out licence to serve food, separate from his regular business permit.

“I questioned: ‘What is stopping our business from serving people dinner before the movie begins? We are a licenced take-out operation after all.’”

Daulat said he believes health officials then begun to understand “that we are different from a pop-up event or operation.”

RELATED: Aldergrove drive-in theatre appeals COVID-19 concession rules, 50 car limit

It’s something the owner has stressed since he made the decision to close down operations Tuesday night, while awaiting a health ministry decision to his request for an exemption – to both the 50-car limit and a concession restriction.

“We are a permanent business,” Daulat emphasized, still hoping for an exemption. “Not a pop-up event.”

Since then, over 19,000 people have signed an online petition to get the outdoor theatre back up-and-running amid the pandemic.

The first film screened Thursday night will be the 1970-80’s classic Grease.

READ MORE: Twilight Drive-In stops showing films after 50-car limit comes into effect

To serve as many cars as possible, the drive-in will clear out its lot after its first screening, welcoming 50 more ticket holders in cars for a second film.

“In effect, we will be serving 100 cars each night,” Daulat explained.

Every carload of moviegoers will pay a flat $50 rate to enjoy the show. That is “so long as there is a legal amount of people in the vehicle,” the owner stressed.

“There must be seatbelts for everybody.”

Those watching the films must stay in their cars, unless they are using the on-site washrooms.

Tickets will be available for purchase online at twilightdrivein.net.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

Vandals deface Aldergrove elementary school with racist slur, male genitalia

Langley School District confirms it has filed a report with the Langley RCMP

‘Our hands are tied’: Langley Good Times Cruise-In announces cancellation due to COVID-19

People are encouraged to donate to the chosen Langley charities online, said Cruise-In director

Langley Township lifts evacuation alert as flooding threat drops

People are still advised to avoid the Fraser River due to fast running water

Sources receives $70K from SurreyCares

Funds will help with warehouse space for food programs in Surrey, White Rock, Langley

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

Woman sexually assaulted, robbed near Surrey SkyTrain station: RCMP

Police say the incident happened July 10, just after 11 p.m. near King George SkyTrain station

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Once-in-a-lifetime comet photographed soaring over Abbotsford

Photographer Randy Small captures Comet NEOWISE in early-morning sky

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

Bringing support to Indigenous students and communities, while fulfilling a dream

Mitacs is a nonprofit organization that operates research and training programs

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Man shot dead in east Abbotsford suburbs

Integrated Homicide Investigative Team called to investigate

Most Read