Call of Duty clash linked to bomb threat

An argument over a video game apparently sparked a fake bomb and kidnapping threat that resulted in a major police response in Aldergrove.

At 11:30 p.m., the Langley RCMP received a call from the Peel Regional Police, a force in Ontario.

An anonymous call, computer-generated and non-traceable, and threatened a bombing and kidnapping at a Langley residence, said Cpl. Holly Marks, spokesperson for the Langley RCMP.

“We called for the ERT [Emergency Response Team] and they weren’t available, so we handled it ourselves,” Marks said.

Police had been given a non-existent address, but based on a name used in the message, found a nearby house that appeared to be the target.

There was no bomb and no one had been kidnapped, but police spoke to the family, and realized that a child in the house had recently been arguing with another player online in the video game Call of Duty.

The player’s screen name, Yolandas, was traced back to a real person, an older teenager from the Vancouver area.

Police have spoken to Yolandas over the phone and confirmed his real identity, and he may have done this kind of thing before, said Marks.

The investigation is ongoing, and if the call can be linked to the suspect, the RCMP will recommend charges, Marks said.

Just Posted

Langley Home Expo shows off home and yard improvements

The annual event is being held in Brookswood at the George Preston Rec Centre

Kodiaks dominate spring season

Seven lopsided wins in a row for the 2018 provincial midget champions

Fort Langley artists know how to make an entrance

First show of the season features 14 artists and about 40 works of art.

Winner announced in Langley Total Makeover Contest

Cheri McBride thanked friends and family for supporting her

LETTER: Langley cycling lanes sparse and treacherous

Bike to School and Bike to Work week is taking place May 27-31

New airline regulations bring compensation for tarmac delays, over-bookings

Some of the new regulations will roll out in July, while others are expected for December.

Burnaby facility to dispose of 1,500 tonnes of Canada’s trash from Philippines

All 103 containers will be disposed of properly within Canada before the end of the summer

Scheer says it would take Conservatives five years to balance budget

Scheeraccused the Liberal government of spending $79.5 billion of previously unbudgeted funds

Man wants guilty plea revoked in 2012 collision in Abbotsford that killed Chilliwack woman

Michael Larocque was charged in relation to crash that killed Eileen Kleinfelder

High-risk sex offender released into Surrey

Earon Wayne Giles, a Newton “tag-team rapist,” was released from prison Friday and is now living in Surrey

Vancouver woman sexually assaulted after man follows her home; suspect at large

Police are looking for an Asian man in his 40s after the incident on Vancouver’s east side.

B.C. man, 30, arrested for driving his parents’ cars while impaired twice in one day

The Vancouver-area man was arrested after officers caught him driving impaired twice in one day

UPDATE: Vancouver man dies after crash between motorcycle, transport truck

Police believe speed was a factor in Thursday collision

Trial slated to start Monday for accused killer of Abbotsford cop

Oscar Arfmann faces first-degree murder for death of Const. John Davidson

Most Read