A Langley City fire crew was called out to the site of the new Timms Community Centre after smoke was spotted on Wednesday (April 8) afternoon.

A Langley City fire crew was called out to the site of the new Timms Community Centre after smoke was spotted on Wednesday (April 8) afternoon.

Fire crews called out to Timms Community Centre

  • Apr. 8, 2015 11:00 a.m.

A discarded cigarette may have been the cause of a fire at the under-construction Timms Community Centre on Wednesday afternoon.

“It appears — but it has yet to be determined — that it could have been started with smoking material,” said Pete Methot, the assistant fire chief for the Langley City Fire Department.

When fire crews arrived on scene around 4 p.m. construction material, possibly insulation membrane, was burning.

“Because it is petroleum-based, there was lots of black smoke,” Methot said.

The fire was on the side of the building facing Douglas Crescent.

One fire crew, as well as a couple of fire chiefs were on hand, as were police and B.C. Ambulance Services, with the fire quickly extinguished.

Methot said that a fire inspector was expected to examine the scene on Thursday (April 9).