Township firefighters and Langley Mounties were at Aldergrove Community Secondary (ACSS) for a time Friday afternoon, dealing with a small fire in the auto shop.
The call came in just about 2:20 p.m. on Friday – which happened to be a professional development day for the Langley School District.
Consequently, there were no students, and limited staff on site at the time, said the district’s communications manager Joanne Abshire.
A fire was sparked while a teacher was welding inside one of the workshops, she explained.
“The teacher extinguished the fire, but it had produced a lot of smoke in the area,” she said. Fire officials confirmed the blaze was quickly quenched, but the building remains smoky.
“The teacher was okay, but out of an abundance of caution was advised to go to the hospital,” Abshire added.
A few other people gathered outside the school, but the main building did not require evacuation.