The George Massey tunnel is considered B.C.’s worst traffic congestion point, and unable to withstand a major earthquake. (Black Press file photo)

George Massey Tunnel replacement could have been cheaper than expected

Delta staff report says the bridge could have been built for nearly $1 billion less than projected

A bridge to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel could be significantly cheaper than projected, according to a recently-released City of Delta report.

Since the previous report to council in October 2017, new cost projections have come to light. In October, the estimated cost for a replacement ranged from $3.5 billion for a replacement bridge to $5.8 million for maintaining the existing tunnel and building a new bridge in another area.

However, according to a Delta staff report dated Feb. 21, 2018, the lowest bid for bridge construction came in at $2.6 billion — nearly $1 billion lower than the expected cost.

“Unlike the Patullo project which is only part-way through the environmental assessment process, the tunnel replacement project is shovel-ready,” the report reads. “[It] has received its environmental assessment certificate and has completed the bidding process.”

The George Massey Tunnel replacement project has been on hiatus since the NDP government took over from the B.C. Liberals last year.

RELATED: B.C. pauses Massey bridge work to conduct new review

In September, 2017, Transportation Minister Claire Trevena announced an independent technical review of the project, saying previous reviews by the Liberal government may not have looked at all possibilities.

About $70 million had already been spent on the $3.5 billion new crossing, including funds allocated to the building of a new counterflow lane on the Alex Fraser Bridge to help relieve congestion in the area while the project’s plan is sorted. Work on the counterflow lane began in early December and is expected to be complete in the fall.

READ MORE: Work begins on Alex Fraser Bridge counterflow lane

The technical review of the Massey replacement project got underway with engineer Stan Codwell in November of last year. The review is intended to look at the lifespan, safety, seismic vulnerability and current congestion of the tunnel, as well as the technical information already produced for the replacement project.

Results from that review are expected in the coming months.

— with files from Ashley Wadhwani and James Smith



grace.kennedy@northdeltareporter.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Half million dollars change Langley couple’s life

Richard and Frances Laidlaw contemplate travel and moving

Liberal hopeful aims to claim candidate spot in Langley-Aldergrove

Leon Jensen was the 2015 candidate in Langley-Aldergrove.

LETTER: Fort Langley driver lobbies for roundabout signalling

ICBC rules call for drivers to signal when exiting roundabouts.

South Langley community group wants to talk innovative housing

Brookswood-Fernridge Community Association invites people to a meeting about the future of housing.

GREEN BEAT: Opening ‘new roads’ in Langley makes cycling safer

HUB Langley pushed to ‘UnGap the Map’ and create more bike infrastructure throughout the community.

VIDEO: The ‘most cosmopolitan’ of butterflies could migrate to B.C.

The painted lady butterfly will likely arrive this summer from Southern California

Pedestrian killed, two injured in three-vehicle crash in Coquitlam

Road closures in effect following collision

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

COLUMN: Smart phone too powerful a tool to yank from students’ hands

Rather than ban them from schools, let’s teach kids to harness their phone’s power and use it properly

Most Read