Langley honours preservation of heritage

Langley Township is a community built on history. Incorporated in 1873 and known as the Birthplace of B.C., the Township has a significant store of heritage resources.

Each year the municipality recognizes people in the community who take steps to preserve, restore, or adapt the heritage sites that provide a valuable link to Langley’s past.

Earlier this year, on National Heritage Day, Township council presented Community Heritage Register Plaques to the owners of the Murrayville Garage, the James Shortreed Residence in Aldergrove, and the Coronation Block in Fort Langley.

“This is the start of Heritage Week, which is celebrated around our province each year,” said Township Mayor Jack Froese. “It is the perfect time to recognize our heritage buildings and historic places, and the people who work so hard to ensure they continue to enrich our community.”

The Community Heritage Register Plaque Program was created in 2010 to recognize the commitment that owners of heritage buildings make to ensure the continued use of their structures. To be eligible, buildings must be on the Township Community Heritage Register.

One of this year’s recipients was Rick Kirby, chair of the West Coast Montessori Society, who converted a turn of the century blacksmith shop into a place where children can grow and learn today. Built on Old Yale Road west of Five Corners, the Murrayville Garage served one of the Township’s earliest settlements in a number of capacities for more than 100 years.

Constructed in the early 1900s as a blacksmith shop and carriage works, it became a service station and an International Harvester farm machinery dealership until the 1950s, reflecting the transportation and agricultural changes the area experienced at the time. It was later rehabilitated for commercial use and even served as a chocolate factory before being acquired by the West Coast Montessori Society and transformed into the Langley Montessori School.

Another plaque was presented to Breanna Statler and Derek Crowie in recognition of the work that went into restoring and repairing one of the few remaining heritage structures in Aldergrove and enhancing its landmark status.

Built in the 1920s, the James Shortreed Residence was commissioned by a pioneering family that played a pivotal role in settling in the Aldergrove area. Originally constructed on 26B Avenue with material produced in local mills, the wood-frame house with corner porches and cross-gabled roof has been moved to 272A Street and substantially remains in its original condition.

Coronation Block owner Suzanne Northcott also received a plaque from Council for the extensive work she has done to the unique commercial building in Fort Langley. Built on Glover Road in 1911, it was named in reference to the crowning of King George the Fifth of England, who ascended to the throne in 1910.

The Coronation Block is significant because of its architecture and association with the Hope family, who contributed to the growth of Fort Langley through their entrepreneurial achievements. The design of the building is attributed to Charles Edward Hope who arrived from England the year after the Dominion was spanned by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1889. He was one of the few trained architects working in Vancouver in the period after the city’s Great Fire and produced his finest architectural designs in Fort Langley, including his family’s estate home.

All three of the recognized projects were also supported by the Heritage Building Incentive Program, which assists with the cost of restoring, repairing, and maintaining eligible heritage buildings within the Township of Langley. Grants are available to property owners of heritage buildings included in the Township’s Inventory of Heritage Resources. 

The grant program is administered on an annual basis. Applications forms are available online at tol.ca/hbip.

A current project that is underway that has received support from the Township’s Heritage Building Incentive Program is the restoration of the Hope Carriage House in Fort Langley. Built in 1912, it is the last remaining building from the Charles Edward Hope’s estate and the only remaining large-scale carriage house in the Langley area. It accommodated the horses and carriages that connected with the Great Northern Railway Station at Port Kells and the upper level was used for feed storage and to house a caretaker and gardener.

Located behind the Fort Langley Community Hall, the heritage building is currently being repaired and restored by its owners in partnership with Lanstone Homes, a company that is constructing the adjacent McBride Station infill housing development.

Just Posted

Two victims of Aldergrove deck collapse in ICU, several others still in hospital

Close relative Satwant Garcha makes daily trips to visit those injured at the wedding

Langley youth coach banned amid sexual harassment, bullying scandal: Water Polo Canada

Justin Mitchell can’t take part in Water Polo Canada events or clubs

Annual Langley Walk makes its way to Aldergrove

This weekend, Langley’s walkers and runners will get further acquainted with Aldergrove.

Therapeutic riding ‘frees’ Langley MS sufferer

Aldergrove non-profit equestrian association in desperate need of volunteers

South Langley’s next generation of tractor pullers

A cohort here to prove a lot more fun can be had with garden tractors, than just mowing lawns.

VIDEO: Driver in bizarre hit-and-run at B.C. car dealership turns herself in

Police believe alcohol was a factor in incident causing estimated $15,000 in damages

‘B.C. cannot wait for action’: Top doctor urges province to decriminalize illicit drugs

Dr. Bonnie Henry says current approach in ‘war on drugs’ has criminalized and stigmatized drug users

B.C. woman, 76, challenges alcohol-screening laws after failing to give breath sample

Norma McLeod was unable to provide a sample because of her medical conditions

New report on 2017 wildfires calls for better coordination with B.C. First Nations

Tsilhqot’in National Government documents 2017 disaster and lists 33 calls to action

Two victims of Aldergrove deck collapse in ICU, several others still in hospital

Close relative Satwant Garcha makes daily trips to visit those injured at the wedding

Wilson-Raybould: Feds want to just ‘manage the problem’ of Indigenous Peoples

Former federal justice minister speaks at First Nations Justice Council meeting in B.C.

Female real estate agents warned of suspicious man in Metro Vancouver

The man requests to see homes alone with the female agent, police say

Can you put your phone down for Mother’s Day?

#DiningMode campaign encourages people to leave the phone alone while eating

Most Read