Murdered man’s father found guilty of uttering threats

Michael LeClair made remarks about taking Kindergarten students hostage in victims' support group.

The father of a murdered gang associate was found guilty of uttering threats  to cause death or bodily harm on Wednesday.

Michael LeClair, 61, was in Abbotsford Provincial Court when a judge found him guilty in relation to threats he made about obtaining a gun and revenging his son’s murder by killing elementary school students.

His son Kevin LeClair, 26, was gunned down in a hail of bullets in broad daylight at the Thunderbird  shopping centre parking lot in February 2009.

In a one-day trial held last month, it was learned that Michael LeClair told a victims’ support group in 2012 that he had dreams of taking Abbotsford Kindergarten students hostage and killing them one by one if his demands weren’t met. One of those demands was arresting the men responsible for his son’s death and releasing the Bacon brothers from jail.

LeClair told the group that he had tried to obtain a rifle. They called police after that.

After the judge’s decision, LeClair told media outside the courtroom that no one has ever been in danger from him.

He will be sentenced Feb. 7, 2014.

Kevin LeClair died in hospital after he was shot at close range while driving his pickup truck.

LeClair was chased into the busy Walnut Grove mall parking lot by two vehicles, one a van and the other a car.

An innocent bystander at the shopping centre the day of the LeClair shooting narrowly escaped injury by ducking down as bullets went flying through her vehicle.

One witness told The Times she watched from her apartment balcony as a dark grey pickup was sprayed with bullets from what appeared to be an automatic weapon, fired from another vehicle in the parking lot of the Thunderbird Village shopping centre at 88 Avenue, east of 200 Street.

As many as 40 shots were heard.

The day before the shooting, LeClair was seen giving Jonathan Bacon, the oldest of the infamous Bacon brothers of Abbotsford who has since been murdered, a ride in his truck in Port Moody.

Charges of first-degree murder were laid in January, 2011 against Vancouver resident Conor D’Monte, 33, described at the time by RCMP Supt. Dan Malo as the current leader of the UN gang, and Cory “Franky” Vallee, 32, of no fixed address, said to be “affiliated” to the UN.

Both men are still at large.

D’Monte and Vallee were also charged with conspiracy to murder the Bacons and their associates in the rival Red Scorpions gang.

Just Posted

Figures reveal spike in highway traffic jams between Abbotsford and Langley

Nearly one in 20 westbound vehicles between Abbotsford and Langley clocked at under 60 km/h

Township council to debate fate of empty Fort Langley buildings

A demolition permit has been sought for the boarded-up buildings

New Langley ER taking shape – hospital head

What can you expect from construction at LMH in the near future?

Remote controlled RCMP cruiser sparks community engagement in Langley

Police are using the toy as an outreach tool this summer

Otter Co-op breaks ground on bigger and better gas bar in Aldergrove

‘Green’ fuel coming to the gas bar following four months of renovations

Fashion Fridays: 5 casual summer dress styles

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Bank of Canada lowers qualifying rate used in mortgage stress tests

Home sales softened last year after the federal government introduced new stress test rules for uninsured mortgages

Couple found dead along northern B.C. highway in double homicide

Woman from the U.S. and man from Australia found dead near Liard Hot Springs

Trudeau says Ottawa open to proposals for B.C. refinery as gas prices soar

Prime minister says he knows B.C. residents are struggling and the federal government is open to ideas

Clock’s ticking to share how you feel about Daylight Saving Time in B.C.

Provincial public survey ends at 4 p.m. on Friday

B.C. man pleads guilty in snake venom death of toddler

Plea comes more than five years after the incident in North Vancouver

B.C. First Nation’s group using ads in Texas targeting company for fuel spill

The Heiltsuk Tribal Council has called out Kirby Corporation for the Nathan E. Stewart oil spill

B.C. woman wins record $2.1 million on casino slot machine

‘That night was so surreal … I wasn’t able to sleep or eat for the first two days,’ she said

After B.C. dad’s death, Technical Safety BC wants changes to trampoline park rules

Jay Greenwood, 46, did ‘a series of acrobatic manoeuvres prior to a fall that caused serious injury and cardiac arrest’

Most Read