No evidence found that girl, 6, was assaulted near her school: Vancouver police

Police said the investigation remains active and ongoing, but that investigators have interviewed many

Vancouver police say investigators have not found anything to corroborate claims that a six-year-old girl was lured from an elementary school and sexually assaulted earlier this month.

On Dec. 12, police announced they were investigating the alleged incident at Sexsmith Elementary School in South Vancouver. According to police, it was believed the child was lured from the playground, assaulted by a man and brought back to the school.

But in a news release Friday, police said its Sex Crimes Unit has investigated several tips from the public – including video footage, interviewed staff and students and canvassed the neighbourhood.

Sgt. Jason Robillard said the investigation will remain active and ongoing.

When the investigation was announced, police said the suspect was described as a darker-skinned man, approximately 30 years old, with brown or grey hair and was wearing grey pants.

“We feel this is an important update for parents, staff, students and the broader community to be aware of,” he said. “Investigating any allegation that affects one’s personal safety, especially the health and safety of a child, is a priority for the Vancouver Police.”


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER: Different taxation system necessary

Langley Township taxpayer argues that taxes shouldn’t be based on assessed home values

VIDEO: Maple syrup taffy among treats and demos at 11th annual Vive les Voyageurs festival

Fort Langley National Historic Site celebrated French Canadians and Métis fur traders

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain business case to go to mayor’s council next week

Also plans for agreement that ‘commits’ Surrey to policies, initiatives to help ensure project’s success

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

Canada’s basketball community mourns Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash

Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star who won five championships

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

Man clings to roof of car driving along busy road in Maple Ridge

The man was also seen jumping on the vehicle

B.C. VIEWS: New coronavirus outbreak an important reminder

Walking the line between cautious and alarmist

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Most Read