Fortis BC was also called to assess gas levels of the building after school teachers smelled a odour which they suspected was a gas leak. (Sarah Grochowski photo)

Potential gas leak evacuation at Parkside elementary scares parents

School teachers smelled a worrisome odour which they suspected was a gas leak

Parkside Centennial Elementary parents got a scare Wednesday morning when they arrived to drop their kids off for 8:30 a.m. class and saw emergency vehicles at the school.

Kelly C., a grandmother of a young boy who attends the school, waited anxiously in her car outside the elementary with her infant granddaughter situated in a the back seat.

“When I came to drop him off I saw firetrucks and am just too scared to leave,” the guardian said.

Shortly after 8:00 a.m., Parkside Centennial Elementary School teachers smelled a worrisome odour they suspected was a result of gas leakage, one parent told the Aldergrove Star.

“They did not feel safe,” said the parent, who wishes to remain unnamed.

Those inside the elementary were immediately evacuated onto the school field, adjacent to 32 Avenue.

Parents who’d come to drop off their kids for school were immediately informed, some decided to take their kids home instead, parent Valorie York said.

“The kids are there with their teachers, which is the best thing,” one mother said, looking at the group of hundreds out in the field.

Township firefighters arrived on scene by 8:15 a.m., along with district maintenance officials.

Fortis BC was also called to assess gas levels of the building, its employees informing school officials at 9:10 a.m. it was safe to return inside.

“It was a leaky hot water tank on the roof of the building which was not deemed a risk,” the School District released in an official statement Wednesday morning.

“At no point were staff or students in danger,” the press release said, commending the actions of staff, students and parents.

 

Those inside the elementary were immediately evacuated onto the school field, adjacent to 32 Avenue. (Sarah Grochowski photo)

Fortis BC was also called to assess gas levels of the building, its employees informing school officials at 9:10 a.m. it was safe to go back inside. (Sarah Grochowski photo)

Just Posted

Suspects sought in Langley crimes

Langley RCMP have released surveillance photos of a number of suspects

UPDATE: ‘Mortifying smell’ alerts local employees to fire inside the Alder Inn

The inn was evacuated before fire crews extinguished flames in an upstairs room

Prospera and Westminster credit unions approved for proposed merger

Abbotsford- and Surrey-based companies now take matter to membership vote

Climate Strike protesters gather in Langley

A small group of mostly TWU students gathered at the Township hall

Canada bests U.S. in day 1 of international lacrosse championships in Langley

Read the results of the action on day 1 of the 2019 World Lacrosse Men’s Indoor World Championship

PHOTOS: Young protesters in B.C. and beyond demand climate change action

Many demonstaers were kids and teens who skipped school to take part

Walmart to quit selling e-cigarettes amid vaping backlash

U.S.’s largest retailer points to ‘growing’ complications in federal, state and local regulations

Former B.C. lifeguard gets house arrest for possession of child porn

Cees Vanderniet of Grand Forks will serve six months of house arrest, then two years’ probation

Student arrested at South Delta Secondary for alleged assault

The alleged assault occurred between two SDSS students on Wednesday, Sept. 18

Crown alleges resentment of ex-wife drove Oak Bay father to kill his daughters

Patrick Weir alleged in his closing arguments that Andrew Berry is responsible for the deaths of his daughters

‘I’d do it again,’ says B.C. man who swam naked, drunk in Toronto shark tank

David Weaver, of Nelson, was drunk when he went to Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto on Oct. 12 2018

How to react to Trudeau’s racist photos? With humility, B.C. prof says

‘We are now treating racism as a crime that you cannot recover from’

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

VIDEO: Fire destroys Williams Lake strip club targeted by past arson attempts

Diamonds and Dust Entertainment Lounge destroyed by fire, as well as New World Tea and Coffee House

Most Read