An afternoon kitchen fire could have been worse than it was for the residents of a Langley City apartment.
The fire broke out in Park Terrace Apartments in the 5300 block of 207th Street at 5:14 p.m. Tuesday, said City fire chief Rory Thompson.
A 12-year-old boy had been cooking, and the stove caught on fire, said Thompson.
The boy apparently threw water on the fire, which caused it to flare up and set nearby cabinets ablaze as well.
The 12-year-old headed out in the halls and pounded on his neighbours doors.
One man came back with a fire extinguisher and knocked down much of the blaze, said Thompson. Firefighters showed up in force soon after and made sure everything was out.
The boy was taken to hospital for observation.