Three families have been temporarily displaced after a fire broke out at a Yorkson townhouse on Tuesday night.
Around 8:30 p.m., Langley Township fire crews arrived to flames licking up the roofline of a townhome in the 8200 block of 209B Street.
“The fire started on the exterior deck,” said assistant fire chief Pat Walker. “It quickly spread to the vinyl siding and progressed up to the soffits and into the attic.”
The fire spread to the exteriors of the units on either side, said Walker.
The vinyl around the windows near the flames melted, causing the windows to fall in and the flames to get inside the home, he said.
“That’s when the sprinklers activated, thank goodness,” said Walker.
Firefighters from three fire halls were called to the scene, putting out the flames and cleaning up.
No one was injured in the fire.
A fire investigator was on scene early Wednesday morning, investigating the origin of the blaze. There was a barbecue on the balcony but it wasn’t used.
The couple who live there had just returned from holidays. They are not smokers, said Walker.
There is a plug and a light so that will be looked at. It isn’t known if the fire is suspicious, he said.
The couple will not be able to return to their home for a while and didn’t have content insurance, said Walker.
“I really want to urge people to get content insurance, he said.”
The unit suffered a fair amount of water damage. The neighbouring units suffered exterior fire damage, he said.