A battery charger for a remote control car is likely to blame for a house fire in south Langley Monday night.
Around 7 p.m., the family was all outside in the garden of their home in the 20000 block of 27 Avenue when they heard a bang and saw fire coming from the area where the charger had been plugged in. According to Bruce Ferguson, Township, assistant fire chief, heavy smoke could be seen when firefighters arrived and called a second alarm. The fire damage was minimal but the smoke and water damage is extensive, said Ferguson.
“There is around $200,000 damage to the home and it isn’t livable,” he said.
No one was injured in the blaze. The family was offered disaster assistance but said they had family to stay with.
“The father had just purchased the remote control car that weekend,” said Ferguson of the bad battery charger.