Seven people were exposed and were evaluated by paramedics. (Shane MacKichan – Special to THE NEWS)

VIDEO: Six taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Pitt Meadows

Occurred at commercial building complex in the 19100-block of Ford Road.

Six people were taken to hospital after a carbon monoxide leak Tuesday afternoon in Pitt Meadows.

Emergency crews responded to a commercial building complex in the 19100-block of Ford Road at around 3:30 p.m. after reports of people feeling nauseous and an odd smell in the building.

When firefighters arrived, carbon monoxide meters were showing 300 ppm.

They immediately evacuated the building, which houses a medical clinic, pharmacy and accounting firm, and called for Fortis Gas and B.C. Emergency Health Services.

It was determined that seven people were exposed to carbon monoxide and were evaluated by paramedics, according to a witness.

READ ALSO: With carbon monoxide, it doesn’t take a lot to be deadly.

Six were transported to hospital for observation.

Pitt Meadows deputy fire chief Dave Biggin said a faulty HVAC system on the roof of the building was the cause of the leak.

After fire crews cleared the building of carbon monoxide, a gas technician entered and shut the system off.


 

@MapleRidgeNews
newsroom@mapleridgenews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Aldergrove Girl Guides feel ‘lucky’ that FreshCo is selling their cookies

FreshCo currently selling 1,800 boxes of the popular sweets to help support the group amid COVID-19

Claiming she has COVID-19, stranger coughs in Cloverdale woman’s face

Clayton Heights woman will now self-isolate for the next two weeks

Alder Grove Heritage Society is on a hunt for local memories and memorabilia

‘If we don’t share those stories they will be forgotten’ urges society president Tami Quiring

PHOTOS: Langley homebuilders nominated for 2020 HAVAN Awards

Categories range from extensive kitchen renovation projects to ‘Best Townhome’ designs

B.C. couple celebrates 61st anniversary through seniors’ home window

Frank and Rena Phillips marked occasion at Nanaimo Seniors Village this week while social distancing

A look at some of the B.C. inventors creating life-saving tools in fight against COVID-19

Groups across B.C. are working together to create what they hope will help people affected by the pandemic

Association launches French-language games, online tools for families learning at home

Games, culture and vocabulary included in new virtual resources

‘There can be no ambiguity’: Travellers brought home to B.C. must self-isolate

Health Minister Adrian Dix said the mandatory isolation must be abided by

55+ BC Games cancelled amid COVID-19 concerns

Greater Victoria set to host 2021 event

BC Hydro offers three-month bill ‘holiday’ for those affected by COVID-19

Industrial customers can defer half of their power bills

Some April Fool’s Day jokes bring much-needed laughter; others tone deaf to COVID-19

Police are warning the public not to use the ongoing pandemic as a punchline

Canada’s 75% wage subsidy is coming, but not for several weeks: finance minister

Subsidy will cost Canada $71 billion, but push down cost of emergency benefit, Morneau said

Call before you dig into spring projects during isolation: BC 1 Call

BC 1 Call gives free checks for utilities in the area of a desired outdoor project

Most Read