Cancellation of the 2021 WLA season was bad news for players like Langley’s Cal Slade, seen here playing for the Langley Junior Thunder organization, who was just drafted by the Senior A team earlier this year. (Garrett James Langley Events Centre photo)

Cancellation of the 2021 WLA season was bad news for players like Langley’s Cal Slade, seen here playing for the Langley Junior Thunder organization, who was just drafted by the Senior A team earlier this year. (Garrett James Langley Events Centre photo)

Langley Thunder season gets cancelled a second time

WLA announces ‘difficult’ decision

After the 2020 season was cancelled because of the pandemic, hopes were high the Langley Thunder Senior A box lacrosse team would be back in action this year.

In February, the team laid the groundwork for a return to play at the Western Lacrosse Association (WLA) draft, adding nine new players.

On Tuesday, the WLA and Major Series Lacrosse (MSL) in Ontario announced there will be no 2021 season and no Mann Cup.

Ken Buchan, president and governor of the Thunder, said it had to be done.

“While we are disappointed the season has been cancelled, we understand the health and safety of everyone comes first,” Buchan said.

“We look forward to building towards the 2022 season and playing the game we love.”

READ ALSO: Rolling the dice: how Langley Thunder took a risk that netted two key players

WLA commissioner Paul Dal Monte cited a number of factors in the decision to cancel, including statements by B.C.’s provincial health officer that it was unlikely restrictions on large indoor public gatherings will be lifted this summer; and the fact indoor adult sporting activities are currently limited to a maximum of two participants.

As well, Dal Monte referred to provincial guidelines against non-essential travel that would make it difficult for players to travel to their summer clubs, as well as a reduced number of BC Ferries sailings.

“While we know this is a huge disappointment for everyone involved in lacrosse — in particular, our players, coaches and dedicated fans — we are committed to doing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19, and our primary responsibility is the health and safety of the competitors, volunteers and thousands of spectators who would contribute to the success of the Mann Cup,” said Dal Monte.

“This decision to cancel was not taken lightly and is a reflection of the gravity of situation the world, including the world of sports, currently faces.”

Shawn Williams, Lacrosse Canada President Shawn Williams called it a “difficult” decision.

READ ALSO: Langley Thunder sidelined as Western Lacrosse Association calls off 2020 season

Both leagues had had planned to delay the start of regular season play this year until the beginning of July.

Since the Mann Cup began in 1926, this will be just the second time the trophy has not been awarded to the best Senior A lacrosse club in Canada.

The Mann Cup series is held each September, with the WLA and MSL champions facing off in a best-of-seven competition.


Have a story tip? Email: dan.ferguson@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

LacrosseLangleyWLA

Just Posted

This black GM Terrain crosses the centre line and collided with an oncoming GMC Acadia in Langley, flipping both vehicles. (Special to Langley Advance Times)
VIDEO: Survivors of rollover crash in Langley thank Good Samaritans for coming to their aid

Collision flipped vehicle into a 10-foot ditch on 16th Avenue

Participants in the 2019 Valley GranFondo wait for the starting signal in 2019. The event, which had to be called off because of the pandemic, is tentatively set to resume in 2022. (Langley Advance Times file)
No GranFondo cycling event in Fort Langley this year

Organizer hopes to be back for 2022

Shannon Todd Booth, the Langley Hospice Society communication and funds manager, with some of the ceramic hearts on sale at Saturday’s fundraiser at the Fort Langley Community Hall. (Dan Ferguson/Langley Advance Times)
First in-person fundraiser by Langley Hospice Society a success

For society volunteers and members of the Fraser Valley Potters Guild, it was a good day

Langley standup comedian Susan Thompson said the cost of her return-to-Canada quarantine in hotel was more than she made during a working trip to the U.S. (Canadian Press/Special to Langley Advance Times)
An expensive return home for Langley standup comedian

Susan Thompson scored work in Las Vegas, but a compulsory hotel COVID quarantine put her in the red

New Langley dining establishment The Barley Merchant was staffing up to open. (Special to Langley Advance Times)
With dining-in back on the menu, Langley restaurants are getting busy again

With the end of the ‘circuit breaker,’ staff are being hired and new looks are being unveiled

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Val Litwin is the latest candidate to declare his bid for the B.C. Liberal leadership. (Litwin campaign video)
Political newcomer joins contest for B.C. Liberal leadership

Val Litwin a former B.C. Chamber of Commerce CEO

Golden Ears Mountains, captured in May 2021. (Black Press Media files)
2nd year of day passes required for entry into 5 provincial parks launches in B.C.

Pilot program seeks to protect the environment by addressing visitor surges amid the COVID-19 pandemic

Lincoln Mckoen. (YouTube)
Anglican bishop of the central Interior resigns over sexual misconduct allegations

Lincoln Mckoen was elected as a bishop of the Territory of the People region last year

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

The former Kamloops Indian Residential School on the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc reserve. (Allen Douglas/Kamloops This Week)
Tk’emlups preparing for archaeological work at B.C. residential school site where remains found

The 215 graves are, to the band’s knowledge, undocumented deaths for which it is still collecting records

Fans watch the warm-up before Game 6 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens in NHL playoff hockey action Saturday, May 29, 2021 in Montreal. Quebec’s easing of COVID-19 restrictions will allow 2,500 fans to attend the game for the first time in fourteen months. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Two-thirds of Canadians say governments shouldn’t lift all COVID-19 restrictions

Poll reports Canadians who gained pandemic weight say they have gained 16 pounds on average

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

People look over the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
One dead and extensive damage as tornado hits Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal

Damage reported in several parts of the city, and emergency teams dispatched to sectors hardest hit

Most Read