It was the first Langley Flippers Swim Club Invitational since the pandemic, and Al Anderson Pool was packed with competitors.
Amanda Whiddington, Flippers volunteer treasurer, told the Langley Advance Times the two-day event, held July 2-3, was probably one of their “biggest meets on record,” with 367 kids and 11 teams competing, some from as far away as Kamloops.
“This is the first time we’ve had a meet since 2019, so this is huge,” Whiddington commented.
“I think our youngest [competitor] is probably three and we’ve got all the way up to masters.”
Among the top Flippers finishers in their respective categories was Rose Esplen, who took four first place finishes – in the 50m freestyle, 200m individual medley, 100m backstroke, and 100m freestyle.
Joshua Coxford won the 50m freestyle, Cameron Jorundson was first in the 200m individual medley and 100m butterfly, and Niko Zanatta won the 100m breastroke.
For more than 50 years, the non-profit Langley Flippers summer swim club has offered professional coaching and technique instruction for all ages and abilities, from novice to provincial-level competitor.
Run by an elected volunteer board of directors, the club is a member of the BC Summer Swimming Association, part of the Fraser Valley region.
Flippers swam in 80 individual final swims.
– 3rd (Girls Div 4 50m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Girls Div 4 50m Butterfly)
-3rd (Girls Div 4 100m Freestyle)
– 1st (Girls Div 7 50m Freestyle)
– 1st (Girls Div 7 200m Individual Medley)
– 1st (Girls Div 7 100m Backstroke)
– 1st (Girls Div 7 100m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Girls Div 8 50m Freestyle)
-2nd (Girls Div 8 100m Freestyle)
– 1st (Boys Div 4 50m Freestyle)
-3rd (Boys Div 4 100m Backstroke)
– 3rd (Boys Div 4 50m Freestyle)
– 2nd (Boys Div 4 200m Individual Medley)
– 2nd (Boys Div 4 100m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Boys Div 8 50m Freestyle)
– 2nd (Boys Div 8 100m Freestyle)
– 2nd (Girls 6 & Under 25m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Boys 6 & Under 25m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Girls Div 2 100m Individual Medley)
– 2nd (Girls Div 2 50m Butterfly)
– 3rd (Girls Div 2 50m Backstroke)
– 1st (Boys Div 5 200m Individual Medley)
– 1st (Boys Div 5 100m Butterfly)
– 2nd (Boys Div 5 50m Butterfly)
– 2nd (Boys Div 5 100m Breaststroke)
– 2nd (Girls 6 & Under 25m Butterfly)
– 3rd (Girls 6 & Under 25m Breaststroke)
– 3rd (Boys 6 & Under 25m Butterfly)
– 2nd (Boys Div 1 50m Backstroke)
– 2nd (Boys Div 8 100m Backstroke)
– 1st (Girls Div 8 100m Breaststroke)
– 2nd (Girls Div 8 100m Breaststroke)
– 1st (Boys Div 4 100m Breaststroke)
– 3rd (Girls Div 8 100m Freestyle)
– 3rd (Boys Div 8 100m Freestyle)
More photos from the event can be viewed online at the Langley Advance Times Facebook page.
Have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.