Several students in Langley took top honours at the pan-provincial French public speaking competition, Concours d’art oratoire.
The competition saw 10,000 students from across British Columbia compete, with 235 making the provincial finals, including 13 students from Langley. The competition is open to all students in Grades 6 to 12 who are learning French, and there are three categories in each grade.
Taking second place is Grade 7 early immersion student Maya Missel from James Kennedy Elementary. Also in second place is Grade 12 early immersion student Hannah Billings from Brookswood Secondary School. And taking third is Grade 9 Francophone Jennifer Schwartz from Brookswood Secondary School.
“Concours is a fabulous celebration of excellence in French language education,” said Diane Tijman, President of Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon.
“Through participation in Concours, students develop confidence in French as well as develop their public speaking skills. These are the kind of skills needed in today’s global society and ultimately these students will gain greater employability as a result. As effective communicators, they will become the leaders of tomorrow.
“We are so proud of all our Concours participants. Bravo à vous tous et toutes pour votre belle participation!”
This year marked the 35th anniversary of the Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon sponsored Concours d’art oratoire. The provincial finals were hosted Saturday, May 5 at Simon Fraser University in Surrey.Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon is a parent-lead registered non-profit dedicated to creating quality and accessible French second language opportunities for all youth.
The Langley finalists were:
- Jacob Haile | Grade 6 Late Immersion | Alex Hope Elementary
- Katherine Hsu | Grade 7 Late Immersion | Noel Booth Elementary
- Ashlyn Holloway | Grade 6 Early Immersion | James Kennedy Elementary
- Ève Boucher | Grade 7 Francophone | James Kennedy Elementary
- Trey White | Grade 8 Immersion | Brookswood Secondary
- Erin Bergeron | Grade 9 Immersion | Brookswood Secondary
- Anokhi Amaradasa | Grade 9 Core French | RE Mountain Secondary
- Josh Kim | Grade 11 Immersion | Brookswood Secondary
- Conor Blackaby | Grade 12 Core French |Brookswood Secondary
- Prabhasha Wickramaarachchi | Grade 10 Immersion | Walnut Grove Secondary
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter