• Endgame: Aldergrove Community Secondary’s production of the Samuel Beckett play runs until March 8. Showtime is 7 p.m. Tickets: $5 at the office or Debbie, 604-856-2521.
• Portfolio building classes: On Fridays from March 15 to May 3, instructor Alex Greghi will help participants build their art porfolios. The Langley Arts Council class runs 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Members: $128. Non-members: $160. Info and registration: 604-534-0781 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Night at the Races: Langley Care Foundation event at FraserDowns Racetrack on March 8. Doors open at 6 p.m. There’s draws, giveaways, food and more. Foundation supports the elderly in. Langley, Cloverdale, Aldergrove and Surrey. Tickets at 604-532-4207 or langleylodge.org.
• KPU Music Faculty Showcase: Faculty members Paolo Bortolussi (flute), Tom Shorthouse (trumpet), Daniel Tones (percussion), Meijane Quong & Jane Hayes (pianos), the Borealis String Quartet with guests Francois Houle (clarinet) and Dylan Palmer (VSO principal double bass) perform at 7:30 p.m. on March 8 in the Langley campus auditorium. Tickets: advance at brownpapertickets (event 3593547) or at the door (Adults: $20. Seniors and students: $15. Children: $10).
March 8, 9, 10
• West Fine Art Show: Spring edition is 7 to 9 p.m.o n March 9, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on March 9, and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 10 in Yorkson Creek Middle School, 20686 84th Ave. Featuring 21 award winning artists in various media, an emerging young artists display a kids art interactive centre, and more. Free admission. Artists on scene. Partial proceeds go to the Langley School District Foundation in support of youth homelessness initiatives.
• International Women’s Day: The Rotary Club of Langley Central luncheon and awards are March 9 at the Fort Langley Golf Course. Doors open at 11 a.m. Tickets $50, includes lunch. silent auction, entertainment. Guest speaker is Lizzy Allen, comedian and blogger. Available at www.internationalwomensday.ca.
• Cemetery tour: Postponed from March 3 due to excessive snow. Tour the Fort Langley Cemetery 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. on March 10 with local historian Warren Sommer. $15. 16 and older. RSVP in advance at recexpress.tol.ca.
March 10, 11
• Bard in the Valley: Auditions for A Midsummer Night’s Dream are at the Douglas Recreation Centre, 20550 Douglas Cres., at 12:30 p.m. March 10 and at 7:30 p.m. on March 11. Rehearsals are Sundays and Mondays starting April 1. Shows: late June to late July. Info: www.bardinthevalley.com.
• Songstage with host Ivan Boudreau: The Bez Arts Hub event showcases songwriters in a ‘in-the-round’ style. The 7 p.m. show on March 14 features Angela Harris, Ken McCoy, and Todd Richard. Tickets and Info: bezartshub.com.
• Cheryl Bear: The Bez Arts Hub welcomes the singer/songwriter/storyteller of the Nadleh Whut’en First Nation for a 7 p.m. show on March 15. Tickets and Info: bezartshub.com.
• St. Patrick’s Day Ceilidh: RSVP to email@example.com for the gathering starting at 4 p.m. on March 17 in Coghlan Hall. Irish stew supper, dance performances, music by Shawn McKee, guest pipers and drummers, and more. $12 per person. Proceeds to the Sionnaine Irish Dance Academy and the hall society.
Programs are free unless noted otherwise.
• Aldergrove Library, 26770 29th Ave. 604-856-6415
• Brookswood Library, 20045 40th Ave. 604-534-7055
• City of Langley Library, 20399 Douglas Cres. 604-514-2850
• Fort Langley Library, 9167 Glover Rd. 604-888-0722
• Muriel Arnason Library, #130 20338 65th Ave. 604-532-3590
• International Women’s Day: A free drop-in program from 2 to 4 p.m. on March 9 features displays of successful Canadian women, henna art, refreshments, a draw and more.
• Murrayville Library, 22071 48th Ave. 604-533-0339
• Walnut Grove Library, 8889 Walnut Grove Dr. 604-882-0410.
• Aldergrove Telephone Museum, 3190 271 St., 604-857-0555, www.telephonemuseum.ca
• B.C. Farm Museum, 9131 King St., 604-888-2273, www.bcfma.com
• Canadian Museum of Flight, 5333 216th St. hangar 3, 604-888-3992, www.canadianflight.org
• Langley Centennial Museum, 9135 King St., 604-888-3922
• Fort Langley National Historic Site 23433 Mavis Ave., 604-513-4777 (Ask about free admission for youth during 2018)
• Heritage CN Station: See the 1915 station, the heritage gardens, and vintage rail cars from noon to 4 p.m. weekends. Info: www.langleyheritage.ca. Volunteers needed Saturday and Sunday.
Surrey Museum 17710 56A Ave., 604-592-6956 surrey.ca/heritage
Out and about
• Aldergrove Euchre Club: Weekly tournaments are held Tuesdays at 7 p.m. at the Aldergrove Legion, 26607 Fraser Hwy. $5 entry. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Brookswood Senior Centre, 19899 36th Ave., offers lots of activities:
• Chess club, Mondays, 7 to 10 p.m.
• Cribbage (five-card), Tuesdays, 12 to 2 p.m. tea and goodies included.
• Square and Round Dancing, Tuesday (plus) 7 to 9:30 p.m. and Wednesday (beginner/mainstream) 7 to 9:30 p.m. (September to May)
• Zumba Gold, Monday and Thursday, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
• Pool/snooker, Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
• Beginner line dancing, Thursday 1:45 to 2:45 p.m.
• Beginner Plus, Thursday, 2:45 to 4 p.m.
• Intermediate line dancing, Thursday 4 to 5:45 p.m.
• Bridge, Wednesday and Friday, 12 to 4 p.m.
• Synergy advanced line dancing, Sunday, 12:30 to 3:45 p.m., and Thursday, 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. High improver intermediate class, Thursday 8 to 10 p.m.
• Mexican Train Dominoes and more. Play games on the second and fourth Thursday of each month 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Fraser Valley Symphony: Has openings for strings, percussion, French horn, bass trombone, and harp. Must be able to attend Monday evening rehearsals September through early June in Abbotsford. Info: Dorle Eason, 604-534-7573, or fraservalleysymphony.org.
• Langley Children’s Choir: For talented young singers in Grades 4-7 for the 2017/18 season. Contact Patti Thorpe at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and audition times.
• Surrey Square Wheelers: Wednesday: beginner/mainstream level 7 p.m. $5. New dancers receive three free evenings. At the Brookswood Seniors Centre, 19899 36th Ave. Info: email@example.com, 604-534-0863 or 604-916-0653, surrey.squaredance.bc.ca.
• Chess Club: All ages are invited to play Mondays 7 to 10 p.m. at the Brookswood Seniors Centre, 19899 36th Ave. Info: 604-530-4232.
• Langley Garden Club: Regular meetings are the second Monday each month at the United Churches of Langley (formerly Sharon United), 216th Street and 48th Avenue at 7 p.m. with parlor show, speaker and refreshments. Drop-ins are welcome. Info: langleygardenclub.com.
• Port Kells Art Club: Offers classes. All levels of experience welcome. In oils and acrylics. Annual membership: $30. The club holds two art shows annually. Meets September to June at 20701 Fraser Hwy. Info: Susan Black, 604-592-2357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Fraser Valley Symphony: Positions available (violin, viola and string bass) but other interested musicians are invited to enquire. Grade 8 RCM or equivalent required. Rehearsals are Monday 7:15 p.m. at Aldergrove Community Secondary. Info: email@example.com.
• Langley Concert Band: The band always accepts new members (teens and adults) with at least one year of musical experience and meets Mondays 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary band room, 7755 202A St. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-613-8132. The band needs mid-range instruments (such as trombones and tenor saxophones.)
• Senior Opus Singers: No experience is necessary, only a love of singing. The group does familiar tunes from days gone by and meets Tuesday afternoons at the Renaissance Retirement Resort, 6676 203 St., at 2 to 3:30 p.m. Info: email@example.com.
• Scottish Country Dancing: The first lesson is free. Check out the lively dancing. No partner necessary. Beginners welcome. The group meets Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Fort Langley Community Hall. Info: Rebecca, 604-530-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Langley Amateur Radio Association (LARA) The group meets on the second Tuesday of each month at the Douglas Recreation Centre 20550 Douglas Cres. Info: Don VA7AB@LNGARA.COM or Al VA7MP@LNGARA.COM, or online at lngara.com.
• Open mic: Creative Compass Society hosts open mike events every second Wednesday at Maria’s Gelato, Fort Langley. Music starts at 7 p.m. Myles of Smiles is dedicated to musician Myles Seib who died of a brain tumour at 29. Performers wanted for upcoming events. Info: www.creative-compass.com.
• Langley Community Chorus: Join the 80-voice choir that rehearses Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. The chorus is seeking male tenors. Info: email@example.com.
• South Fraser Pipes and Drums: The group meets Wednesdays 7 to 9 p.m. at Coghlan Hall. Potential members welcome. Info: Nancy, 604-782-9975.
• Music@Midweek: Free concerts are at noon in the Langley auditorium of Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
• Langley Quilters’ Guild: Members meet on the fourth Wednesday, except in December, at the George Preston Recreation Centre. The day meeting is 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The evening meeting is 7:15 to 9 p.m. Info: Kathleen, 604-597-6414, or www.langleyquiltersguild.com.
• Langley Camera Club: Meets 7 p.m. at Fort Langley Community Hall, 9167 Glover Rd., on 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wed. of each month. All levels of photographers and newcomers welcome. Info: 604-532-9212.
• Opus One Women’s Choir New members are accepted throughout the year and no experience is required. The women’s choir meets Wednesdays 7:15-9:15 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary choir room. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Square dancing: Adult beginner classes are at the Brookswood Seniors’ Centre, 19899 36th Ave., 1:45 to 2:45 p.m. Info.: 604-838-8821, email@example.com or www.surrey.squaredance.bc.ca.
• Langley Writers’ Guild: The group meets on the first, second and fourth Thursdays of the month at St. Joseph’s Hall, 20676 Fraser Hwy. All genres. Meets September to June. The group will consider one evening meeting per month if there is interest. Info: Deanna, 604-530-0951.
• Central Valley Community Pipe Band: The band is accepting new pipers and drummers of all levels. Meets Wednesday evenings at Coghlan Community Hall. An 8-week beginners’ program will be offered in the new year. Contact Nancy Gleeson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-782-9975).
Men’s a cappella group New members welcome to the group that meets Thursdays, 7-10 p.m. at 20525 72nd Ave. Info: Gord, 604-530-4795.
Old time dances: O.A.P. hall, 3015 273rd St., has Saturday dances from 1 to 4 p.m. $6, includes snacks and tea/coffee.