Attempt to chase away raccoons proves costly

Everyone safe, but fire heavily damages Walnut Grove home

 

A Walnut Grove family has been left temporarily without a home after an attempt to smoke out raccoons went awry.

Township fire department spokesman Bruce Ferguson said that at about 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, a homeowner in the 9000 block of 207A Street lit a fire outside his home, hoping to smoke out raccoons that had taken up residence in a hollow pillar.

The fire spread, travelled up the pillar into the attic where it caused significant damage to the roof which will now have to be replaced.

Damage is estimated at between $100,000 and $150,000, Ferguson said.

“The house can’t be lived in, but it is rebuildable,” he added.

The man, his wife, at least one child and a pet all escaped unharmed.

There was no sign of the raccoons.

 

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image