Fire damaged a house and many family possessions were lost Friday morning in Walnut Grove.

Cigarettes suspected cause of Walnut Grove fire

No one was hurt, but the blaze gutted a Walnut Grove home.

No one was injured, but two families worth of items were destroyed or damaged in a Friday morning fire in Walnut Grove.

The 2 a.m. fire gutted a home on a cul-de-sac near 214th Street and 90th Avenue.

The family and pets got out safely, said Langley Township assistant fire chief Pat Walker.

They lost a lot of possessions, partly because one additional family member was staying in the home while her house was being finished.

A  U-Haul truck loaded with possessions was in the driveway, and the garage was also filled up, Walker said.

That also gave the fire some extra fuel, and it burned straight up through the house before crews managed to extinguish it.

“The crews did an amazing job,” Walker said. There was some heat damage to the nearest house next door, but firefighters kept the flames from spreading.

On Friday afternoon, firefighters believed they found the cause of the blaze, tracing its origin to a planter near the house.

“The planter was full of peat moss,” said Walker. Peat moss, when dry, can burn extremely well.

“We discovered that there was a number of cigarette butts in the planter,” said Walker.

The most likely cause for the fire is improperly extinguished smoking materials, Walker said.

The family is being put up by the local emergency services program.

The house was insured, Walker said.

Just Posted

Trappers on brink of elimination after third loss

“We’ve got to play desperate hockey’ coach of Langley hockey team says

Arrest in alleged parking lot assault at LMH

Langley RCMP investigating daylight incident

Langley author recounts service in the French Foreign Legion

Langley’s Joel Struthers aims to educate the public on what service looks like in the Legion.

From broad principles to specifics: City Nexus plan enters new phase

‘Transformational’ plan required to ready for arrival of rapid transit, CAO says

High school photo exhibit celebrates Aldergrove’s community

ACSS photography students showcased their work at Langley Arts Council’s grand opening last week.

B.C. resident baffled about welcome mat theft

Security footage shows a woman and her dog taking the mat from the property on March 13

Father thanks B.C. Mountie for shooting hoops with kids, ‘changing perspectives’

‘We’re just like everyone else,’ says Surrey officer who stopped to play basketball with kids

2019 BUDGET: As deficit grows, feds spend on job retraining, home incentives

Stronger economy last year delivered unexpected revenue bump of an extra $27.8 billion over six years

Trans Mountain court hearing: B.C. says it won’t reject pipelines without cause

Canada says the proposed amendments to B.C.’s Environmental Management Act must be struck down

Carfentanil found in 15% of overdose deaths in January: B.C. coroner

Carfentanil is 100 times more powerful than illicit fentanyl and used to tranquilize elephants

B.C. father fights for his life after flu turns into paralyzing condition

Reisig has lost all motor skills with the exception of slight head, shoulder and face movements.

B.C. wildfire prevention budget bulked up as dry spring unfolds

Night vision goggles tested for early detection effort

Vernon ordered to reinstate terminated firefighters caught having sex at work

City believes arbitration board erred, exploring options

Most Read