Homeless man sparks Langley City fire

Was using empty industrial building at intersection of 200 Street and the Langley By-Pass as shelter

Debris litters the floor of a soon-to-be-demolished Langley City industrial building that caught fire Tuesday morning (Feb. 7) when a homeless person tried to warm himself by burning some cardboard.

Debris litters the floor of a soon-to-be-demolished Langley City industrial building that caught fire Tuesday morning (Feb. 7) when a homeless person tried to warm himself by burning some cardboard.

A Tuesday morning fire that damaged a soon-to-be demolished industrial complex in Langley City was lit by homeless man who was trying to get warm, the fire department reported.

The blaze in a second-floor location of the structure at 200 Street and the Langley Bypass sent thick clouds of smoke billowing into the sky around 3:50 a.m.

It took three fire trucks and 18 firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

A homeless man confessed to the firefighters that he accidentally started the blaze when he took shelter in the unoccupied former business and burned some cardboard for heat.

Criminal charges were not expected.

No injures were reported.

Damage to the building, which is scheduled to be torn down soon for redevelopment, was relatively minor.