Skip to content

Murdered man's father found guilty of uttering threats

Michael LeClair made remarks about taking Kindergarten students hostage in victims' support group.

The father of a murdered gang associate was found guilty of uttering threats  to cause death or bodily harm on Wednesday.

Michael LeClair, 61, was in Abbotsford Provincial Court when a judge found him guilty in relation to threats he made about obtaining a gun and revenging his son's murder by killing elementary school students.

His son Kevin LeClair, 26, was gunned down in a hail of bullets in broad daylight at the Thunderbird  shopping centre parking lot in February 2009.

In a one-day trial held last month, it was learned that Michael LeClair told a victims' support group in 2012 that he had dreams of taking Abbotsford Kindergarten students hostage and killing them one by one if his demands weren't met. One of those demands was arresting the men responsible for his son's death and releasing the Bacon brothers from jail.

LeClair told the group that he had tried to obtain a rifle. They called police after that.

After the judge's decision, LeClair told media outside the courtroom that no one has ever been in danger from him.

He will be sentenced Feb. 7, 2014.

Kevin LeClair died in hospital after he was shot at close range while driving his pickup truck.

LeClair was chased into the busy Walnut Grove mall parking lot by two vehicles, one a van and the other a car.

An innocent bystander at the shopping centre the day of the LeClair shooting narrowly escaped injury by ducking down as bullets went flying through her vehicle.

One witness told The Times she watched from her apartment balcony as a dark grey pickup was sprayed with bullets from what appeared to be an automatic weapon, fired from another vehicle in the parking lot of the Thunderbird Village shopping centre at 88 Avenue, east of 200 Street.

As many as 40 shots were heard.

The day before the shooting, LeClair was seen giving Jonathan Bacon, the oldest of the infamous Bacon brothers of Abbotsford who has since been murdered, a ride in his truck in Port Moody.

Charges of first-degree murder were laid in January, 2011 against Vancouver resident Conor D'Monte, 33, described at the time by RCMP Supt. Dan Malo as the current leader of the UN gang, and Cory "Franky" Vallee, 32, of no fixed address, said to be "affiliated" to the UN.

Both men are still at large.

D'Monte and Vallee were also charged with conspiracy to murder the Bacons and their associates in the rival Red Scorpions gang.

Monique Tamminga

About the Author: Monique Tamminga

Monique brings 20 years of award-winning journalism experience to the role of editor at the Penticton Western News. Of those years, 17 were spent working as a senior reporter and acting editor with the Langley Advance Times.
Read more

Pop-up banner image