Wednesday night in Victoria the Vancouver Giants dropped a 3-1 decision to the Victoria Royals.
Despite outshooting the Royals 34-20, the G-Men only managed to score once on goaltender Shane Farkas.
Graeme Bryks, Keanu Derungs, and Nolan Jones had goals for the Royals (14-8-2-0), while Brandon Cutler supplied two assists.
Cole Shepard had the lone goal for the Giants (13-12-1-1), which came late in the third period.
VIC – 20 seconds into the game Graeme Bryks put Victoria ahead 1-0 when he parked himself in front of the Giants goal and one-timed home a feed from Brandon Cutler for his second of the season.
Shots: 7-4 Victoria
.Shots: 18-6 Vancouver
VIC – Keanu Derungs extended Victoria’s lead to 2-0 when he banged home a Gary Haden breakaway rebound. Haden was sprung free on a breakaway after leaving the penalty box, and Derungs followed up his attempt and knocked his seventh of the season home into the empty net.
VIC – 43 seconds later Nolan Jones scored his first of the season unassisted off a shot from the slot to make it 3-0 Royals.
VAN – At 18:18 of the third, Cole Shepard got the Giants on the board when he redirected a Justin Sourdif pass over the right shoulder of Shane Farkas from the high slot. Shepard’s sixth of the season was also set up by Dylan Plouffe.
Shots: 12-7 Vancouver
BY THE NUMBERS
• Final score: Victoria 3 – Vancouver 1
• Final shots: 34 – 20 Vancouver
• David Tendeck: 17/20 saves for Vancouver (7-6)
• Shane Farkas: 33/34 saves for Victoria (10-4-1-0)
• Vancouver power play: 0/6
• Victoria power play: 0/3
• 3 Stars: Shane Farkas (VIC – 33 Saves), Keanu Derungs (VIC – 1G, GWG), Brandon Cutler (VIC – 2A)
• The Giants are now 4-4-1-0 against the B.C. division
• The Vancouver Giants have outshot their opposition in 18 of their first 27 games
• Netminder David Tendeck has held opponents to three goals or less in each of his past eight appearances
WHAT’S COMING UP
The Giants play next on Friday night at home against the Spokane Chiefs. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m. This event will feature karaoke and toy drive.
And their Sunday, Dec. 8 game will be held at Rogers Arena, and features the team’s popular teddy bear toss. That game starts at 4 p.m.
Is there more to this story?