PHOTOS: Langley Cat oasis on cusp of reality

A $5 donation that came 11,368 kilometres – from Auckland, New Zealand – to Aldergrove, is indicative of the widespread kindness that will make a one-of-a-kind cat shelter in Langley possible.

Last year, Langley Animal Protection Society announced its hopes to build a $550,000 cat oasis – a separate building dedicated to intake, treatment, and care of cats in preparation for adoption to forever homes. It would provide an isolation space that will help LAPS care for sick cats, in particular, without exposing others up for adoption.

At an annual Heroes wine and cheese event Friday at the Patti Dale Animal Shelter, 142 people learned that the dream of this feline facility – or at least the fundraising for such digs – has almost been achieved, explained LAPS executive director Sean Baker.

“We’re still looking for a few thousand, but we’re really close,” he said.

In large part, he credited Shelly Roche – who put LAPS on an international forum a few years ago when she introduced the Tiny Kittens project through Facebook.

“Our most exciting project yet is on the cusp of becoming a reality,” Baker added.

“With Shelly’s never-say-never attitude, this pipe dream is soon coming true,” he said, thanking her for helping persuading municipal council to contribute 40 per cent of the cost. Baker said the remaining 60 per cent has almost been realized through the international outreach made by Roche and her team.

“While that was all happening, 336 unique donors, including many in this room, on three continents, from six countries, including six Canadian provinces, and 29 U.S. states came forward to contribute most of the remaining 60 per cent,” Baker said.

“We are currently deep in the design phase of the oasis and hope to be building sometime in the fall,” he added, vowing the LAPS staff and volunteers won’t take a break until the facility is a reality – if then.

“Don’t worry, we will keep you updated on Facebook – guaranteed,” he added with a bit of a chuckle.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Langley walk to fight Alzheimer’s took place outdoors and in

Second annual fundraiser at Chartwell Langley Gardens Retirement Community

VIDEO: Inaugural township-wide garage sale rated a success

‘It went extremely well,’ said veteran garage sale participant

Taekwondo Festival draws hundreds to Langley Events Centre

Annual event a showcase of Korean martial art skills, culture and music

VIDEO: Bowen Byram named top prospect

Giants defenceman recognized as premier NHL draft pick

REPLAY: The best videos from across B.C. this week

In case you missed it, here’s a look at the replay-worth highlights from this week in the province

UN urges Canada to take more vulnerable Mexican migrants from Central America

The request comes as the United States takes a harder line on its Mexican border

Mistrial declared in Jamie Bacon murder plot trial

Bacon was on trial for counselling to commit the murder of Person X

B.C. VIEWS: Money-laundering melodrama made for TV

Public inquiry staged to point fingers before 2021 election

Canadian homebuyers escaping high housing costs by moving to secondary cities

In British Columbia, exurbs have grown in the Hope Valley and Kamloops

Feds lay out proposed new rules for voice, video recorders in locomotives

Transport Canada wants to limit use of recorders to if a crew’s actions led to a crash

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen found in torched SUV

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

Most Read